Thursday, April 12, 2012

Super Fast Pasta Dinner

Some nights I just can't seem to summon the energy to cook.  I find myself staring into the (mostly empty) pantry or fridge, and dreaming of home delivered take-away.  The following meal is one I often use on nights like this and I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy it in the end.  The best thing is that it is SO quick and easy to pull together that you can have it ready sooner that that take-away could be delivered, and for much less expense.


When preparing this meal the ingredients are very flexible and you should make use of what you have left in the fridge or pantry.  I do tend to try and make sure I have pasta, pesto, capers and frozen peas in my home at all times.  Also, my choice of ingredients is based on cooking the meal in one pot only!

What you will need:

Gluten free pasta (can be substituted for regular pasta if you do not need gluten free)
Pesto of your choice
Baby capers (about a tablespoon)
Fresh basil (can use parsley as well)
Baby spinach, English spinach or rocket
Frozen peas
Pepper


What you need to do:

1.  Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water.
2.  While the pasta is cooking wash the basil and spinach.  Roughly chop or tear the basil.
3.  Rinse the peas under hot water to thaw.
4.  When the pasta is cooked, drain and leave in colander.
5.  Rinse out saucepan, add a splash of olive oil and then spinach leaves. Stir until wilted.
6.  Add peas, capers and basil and mix.
7.  Return (hopefully) still hot pasta to pot, stir in a few spoonfuls of pesto.  Mix well
8.  Serve topped with freshly ground black pepper, some more fresh basil and if you are not vegan you can add some grated parmesan.


Notes:  You can also add tinned red kidney beans or borlotti beans for added protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment